You have definitely lost a good night sleep dreaming over your dream house – how the floor would be like, how many rooms, and how big the bathroom will be. These are all part of how you think about your future house would look like, and if there’s anything anyone would want, it would be a place where he can be at peace. However, tranquillity and harmony do not only come from the house you’re living in. Believe it or not, the people living right next to you play a vital role in your mental health.
Generosity to other people, especially your neighbors, according to Psychologist Sonja Lyubomirsky is “one of the main ways (along with expressing gratitude) that we can increase our happiness.” If you are happy, your mental health is well.
It seems the lot and house design are not the only things you should consider when finding your haven. It is imperative that you think about the neighborhood as well. The people right next to you may seem not to matter, but unconsciously, they do. Someone even said that having a bad neighbor is like living in hell. “If you typically avoid confrontation, you’ll likely feel more stress. The neighbor conflict may -reflect past conflicts . . . that you’d rather not revisit. Now you’re faced with the problem of living right next door to someone who is a source of tension — and that can be really challenging,” according to Clinical psychologist Angela Clarke, PhD.
Reasons How Your Neighbor Influences Your Mental Health:
- Your neighborhood is the extension of your home, and whether you like it or not, your neighbors are a part of your life. They may know things that other people don’t, and the understanding and relationship you have are different from that of your friends or colleagues.
- When you have kids, there is a big chance that they will be friends with your neighbor’s. The parents next door will somehow be your kids’ second parents, and you will be too with their kids.
- There will be issues that are personal or exclusive to the family that they will know about. For instance, you had a bad day and just wanted to scream. There will be times you would think what would the neighbors say, and there will be times when you don’t mind them thinking you’re going crazy.
- Your neighbors may know things faster than you do. For instance, you and your husband are fighting. Words may spread that you two are getting a divorce. It could be annoying but as your neighbor, it is their privilege to think and say something about your life, and it is entirely up to you if you will allow them inside your head.
- You will likely invite your neighbor to every party you throw as it will be an awkward thing if you don’t. How many celebrations do you have in a year’s time? Those are the times when you have to think about whether you’re going to invite them or not. If you don’t like them that much, it is an unfortunate thing for you.
Living right next to beautiful people could add happiness to your life, and opposite to this is a life full of stress when you live with terrible neighbors. Next time you get to think about your dream house, you might want to consider thinking about the neighborhood as well because somehow, it could determine your mental wellness. The house next door is an extension of your home, and the people living in it are an extension of your family. But then again, “You can’t love another person until you love yourself first,” says Deborah Khoshaba Psy.D. So if you’re dealing with an unruly neighbor, and you have love all over, you will find “ways” to make them “lovable.”