When you were 10, you were always probably asked what you wanted to be when you grow up, and you had an answer! So, are you a doctor now? If yes, then congratulations. You did it! If not, well you may still be figuring out what you want.
But if not, you still don’t have to be alone. “Depression is a disorder that develops from environmental and biological issues that are unique to each person,” says Deborah Serani, PsyD.
All you have to do is toughen up and get the courage to step out of the darkness. Get help! A licensed professional counselor can conduct individual counseling to help you get through your depression or whatever negativity that’s hindering you from being successful in every aspect of life. Life has a way of breaking people, even the strongest. Some challenging situations can make you drown in depression, and it is a mental health problem that is hard to handle. Not everybody will understand, and not everyone will care. If you are lucky to have people who will support you in your battle with depression, that is indeed a blessing! Not everyone is the same. With the millions of people running in the crazy race of life, not everyone’s going to have the same journey. Yours may just be starting.
What You Can Benefit From Individual Counseling:
- It will help you discover about yourself – the source of your happiness, hopes, depression, and anxiety. You have to love yourself and therapy can help with that. “You’ll love yourself more when you set limits or say no to work, love, or activities that deplete or harm you physically, emotionally and spiritually, or express poorly who you are,” says Deborah Khoshaba Psy.D.
- Some of us might have missed acknowledging all the things that caused us to be happy or sad. They might have piled up, and it just came to a point where the small things we failed to acknowledge already defined our whole being.
- It will guide you on how to deal with difficulties in life, to make you see them that they are opportunities to learn and gain wisdom rather than a force to tear you down.
- Some people are miserable that their frustrations drive them. Individual counseling will help them see that failures are essential They make us hope and strive to do and be better.
- It will make you see things in a new and positive way. It can help you with the feeling of being hopeless and alone. It will make you realize that life is not all about your constant worries.
- Some people feel stuck that they have nowhere go. They have lost their self-worth that they don’t dream or aspire to be anything anymore. They don’t think they deserve any better, and individual counseling will help a person realize that everyone deserves an opportunity for happiness and success in life.
- It will improve your relationships by helping you to harness the positivity within you and share it with the people around you.
- No one was ever born sad, angry and miserable. There must be someone in our lives who seem to be carrying all the problems in the world, or it could be us. Individual counseling will help us improve so that we could have better relationships with other people.
- It will help you overcome your bad habits, behaviors, addictions, or anything that disturbs your wellbeing.
- Some of us may have problems with addiction such as drinking, gambling, or anything that clouds our decision-making. Some are dealing with mental health issues like anxiety or eating disorders. Individual counseling will guide you on how to address these problems so that you can move forward.
“Therapy is a course where you are the subject matter. You can explore yourself, go deeper into your current thoughts and feelings, or just sit and “be” for a while,” a reminder from Ryan Howes PhD, ABPP.
Yes, life can be a little frustrating, but sometimes, all we need is a little nudge to finally realize that we have the power over how our life can be. We owe it to ourselves to make an effort to better our situation and to step our best foot forward.